Like the rest of the country, Nevada relies on the trucking industry, and we are a prominent part of cargo delivery routes throughout the Southwest. But while trucks are essential to deliver food and goods, these vehicles are also dangerous. Truck accidents are often fatal for drivers and passengers in smaller vehicles.
At Dimopoulos Law Firm, our attorneys understand how to investigate the many causes of trucking accidents and how to hold both truck drivers and trucking companies liable.
Truck Driver Negligence
Commercial truck drivers are bound by strict safety and hours-of-service regulations. Violation of these regulations is not only illegal; it can also lead to devastating accidents. Common problems include:
- Fatigued or drowsy driving, often related to driving for longer than legally allowed
- Fatigued driving related to sleep apnea and other problematic medical conditions
- Drunk or drugged driving
- Distracted driving (involving cellphones, CB radios and other electronic equipment)
- Speeding and aggressive driving
- Falsifying log books to hide the number of hours driven
Vehicle Maintenance And Safety Issues
Trucking accidents can also be caused by issues with the vehicle or the way it is being used. These include:
- Worn-out brakes
- Other vehicle maintenance issues related to failure to have the vehicle regularly inspected and repaired
- Carrying loads that violate weight limits
- Carrying cargo that is unbalanced or improperly secured
- Carrying dangerous cargo without proper certification
Trucking Company Negligence
Companies are responsible for the safety and reliability of their trucks and drivers. Common liability issues include:
- Failure to properly screen drivers before hiring them
- Failure to train and monitor drivers
- Failure to have vehicles regularly inspected and repaired
- Failure to ensure compliance with trucking industry regulations
- Continuing to operate in violation of service suspension orders and other regulatory enforcement measures
After a commercial trucking accident, it is crucial for victims and their families to consult with a knowledgeable personal injury lawyer like those at our firm. Evidence needs to be uncovered and preserved, and all possible causes must be investigated.
Contact Our Firm Today
If you or a loved one has been seriously injured in a truck accident, call Dimopoulos Law Firm to learn more about your rights and legal options. To take advantage of a free initial consultation, call our Las Vegas office at 702-476-0005. You can also fill out our online contact form.